Oct 02, 2023
AHS 145 - Medical Assistant Essentials
Lab/Lecture: Four lecture.
The Medical Assistant Essentials course prepares students for the varied and expanded responsibilities involved in working within medical offices today. Students will receive training in numerous areas, giving them an understanding of the workings within today’s medical businesses. Students who complete AHS 145, AHS 146 , AHS 147 , AHS 148 , AHS 149 , and AHS 289 will have the skills necessary to obtain employment as a medical assistant and are eligible to take the American Medical Technologist (AMT) certification exam to become a Registered Medical Assistant (RMA).
Students will be able to:
- describe the role of a Medical Assistant in the Health Care industry;
- demonstrate a professional attitude and image;
- demonstrate respect and sensitivity for vulnerable populations such as people with disabilities, hard of hearing, elderly, dementia, pediatrics, etc.;
- identify effective verbal and nonverbal communication;
- demonstrate respect for cultural diversity;
- demonstrates appropriate use of medical terminology;
- demonstrate duties and functions required of clinical and administrative medical assistants;
- identify medical office policies and procedures;
- identify and adhere to managed care policies and procedures;
- identify and maintain federal and state health care regulations;
- identify the scope of practice for a medical assistant;
- describe and demonstrate an understanding of human anatomy and physiology of the following systems: a. skeletal, muscular, and cardiovascular;
- identify equipment and instruments used in office procedures;
- prepare and maintain examinations and treatment areas;
- and understand how to assist within different medical specialties.
Prerequisite(s): Consent of Instructor
Corequisite(s): AHS 146 and AHS 147 (spring semester) or AHS 148 and AHS 149 (fall semester.)